Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Love Chapter

First Corinthians, chapter 13, is known mostly as the "Love Chapter". The apostle Paul is writing this letter to the Church in Corinth, encouraging them to love one another and making the point by distinguishing between "works" and "grace". If I "do" this, or If I "give" this...but don't have love, then I'm just faking it. Love is the most noble of graces....as Paul says, "the most excellent way".
My son, Nate, recently got married and his brother, Seth, read the Love Chapter at the wedding. A lot of weddings include at least a portion of this chapter in the ceremony.
My friend, Jim Mathis, is a writer, musician and photo artist. He has cleverly re-worded the Love Chapter for "Musicians". I thought this was brilliant and I wanted to share it with everyone on my email list. It just goes to show that the truth of the Word of God is relevant no matter what our station is in life. As a singer/songwriter, is sure got my attention.....
Ist Corinthians 13.... paraphrased for musicians by Jim Mathis

If I have the most gorgeous voice in the world, but have not love, I might as well be beating on a trash can. If I have perfect pitch and know all there is to know about chords and harmonies and have mastered the last detail of music theory, but have not love, I am nothing. If I play in prisons, concert halls, churches and arenas, but have not love, I gain nothing.
Love is patient to those less skilled. Love treats the audience with respect. Love does not need a Martin D-45 and a stack of Marshall amps. Love is not arrogant nor does it show false humility. Love does everything possible to please the audience. It doesn't get upset when it can't hear the monitors or if somebody is out of tune. Love does not brood over last nights gig. Loves does not enjoy seeing somebody else bomb, but wants everyone to rock. Loves takes care of other musicians and is always trying to improve.
If there is love, there is no failures. Great players lose their chops, great singers lose their voices, great songs are forgotten, but love will never die.
We will never get it right here on earth, but when we get to heaven, the whole set will be nailed.
When I was a child, I dinked around on my instrument, but when I became a man, I played with passion. Now I hear like a cheap speaker. In heaven it will be 10,000 watts and crystal clear. Now I have to look for the chords. Then, they will all fall under my fingers and Jesus Christ will hear each note of worship played for Him.
And now three things remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.....

You can click on the link below to read the original blog and read more of the inspired ramblings of Jim Mathis...
http://www.skyblueband.net/1stCorinth13.htm

If you enjoy reading my Monday morning blogs and think of others who might be interested please pass on my link to your friends.... thanks and God Bless...
Bob Jenkins www.12stepsandawindingroad.com

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, for the Monday morning encouragement. I am going to share this with my praise team at LHB. Rita

    ReplyDelete