Monday, May 10, 2010

"ChristianWorld"

One of my favorite movies is called, "WestWorld". I think it was made in the late 1970's or early 1980's. The movie is about a special place where families could go on vacation and the setting was the old Wild West. The cool thing about it was that everything was "computerized" (this was years before computers were commonplace.) The whole area was run by an underground bunker of computers and wires and computer programmers who oversaw everything that happened via hidden video screens.
The great thing about "WestWorld" was that everything in it was programmed to give a positive response to whatever your wanted to do. You could live in this world for a few days and be anything you wanted to be and do anything you wanted to do in this "other world". If you wanted to hit on the girl in the barroom, then you could, and she would be amiable to do whatever you desired. If you wanted to get in a bar-fight (I think this must be for the guys), then you could do that and you didn't have to worry about "losing" the fight. Everyone and everything in the scenario was fake except for you, the person paying for the vacation.
Yule Brenner was the bad guy in WestWorld. He was the notorious evil gunslinger and he would always end up picking a fight with the men on their "vacation". He was a ruthless killer and the "fastest gun in the west". But, it didn't matter. You could take him in a gunfight, even if you didn't know a Colt 45 from a roll of masking tape. He was programmed for you to outdraw him and kill him and you would get to hear all the "fake" barmaids ooh and aah over you. You were "the man".
One day something went terribly wrong in WestWorld. A guy (a "real" guy, a vacationer), got into a showdown with Yule Brenner. ..... and Yule Brenner outdrew the guy and killed him...dead,... on the spot. (I guess they, (the WestWorld programmers). figured it didn't matter that there were real bullets in the guns..... I mean, what could happen?....
Everything started to unravel. There was a "glitch" in the computers and all the bad guys and bad girls and even "nature" (yes, they even had rattlesnakes).... all these animatronic creations were set loose to do as they were programmed, except that they were no longer programmed to let the vacationers "win". It was complete chaos, (and good movie-making entertainment for me).
I got to thinking about this one day and suddenly realized how much it related to "ChristianWorld". Christian World is made up of mostly fake stuff, just like it was in WestWorld. ChristianWorld is a special place you can visit (especially on television on a late Sunday night). In ChristianWorld you can have all your heart's desires met. Want a new Cadillac? You got it. Want perfect health? Got it...no problemo. Rolex?... Easy peasy. Want a God? Very cool... There's a God,.... and He's programmed to always answer your prayers exactly the way you want them to be answered. Everything in ChristianWorld is programmed to satisfy your every desire and whim. Beneath the surface, in their underground bunkers are these men (and women) who are handsomely paid to make sure you have the best "gol-durn" vacation you ever had!... (There's no real cussing in ChristianWorld....at least not while the programmers are on duty.)...
I use to visit "ChristianWorld". I thought it was a cool concept. I bought into it for a time, ....even took a vacation there once or twice. I remember the last time I went. Yule Brenner picked a fight with me. Inexplicably, he outdrew me. Luckily I just suffered a flesh-wound and made it out alive. After that I never went back.
I talked to God about it..... I told him I didn't like "ChristianWorld". I thought it was evil, deceptive, and that it could easily lead some people to think that it was how the world (and God), actually operates. No, I didn't like ChristianWorld,.. not one bit.
God told me He didn't like it one bit either, that He didn't have anything to do with it, really. I was glad to hear that. For some reason it made me feel...safer.
I can live with a flesh wound here and there,...... I just can't live with a fake, puppet God....

No comments:

Post a Comment