Friday, March 4, 2011

Denial: It's Not A River In Egypt

Charlie Sheen is all over the news. I've watched a few interviews with him. I think, to a lot of people, they're entertaining. I guess they are...to a point. Then again, it's hard to watch a human being implode on national T.V.

When I first saw him I said to myself, "There's a textbook case of addiction and denial. He could be the poster-child for "denial" in the realm of addiction.

There's an old saying, "Denial isn't a river in Egypt".

Denial is a self-defense mechanism that addicts use to reflect any confrontation concerning their drug use or subsequent actions. If one doesn't "see" a problem, then, in their warped way of thinking, they don't have to do anything about it. Nothing has to actually change. "My life is just fine, thank you very much.... now.... butt out!"...

Addiction isn't "subjective". It's not based on how one feels. It's more "objective". It's observable. How has the life you are now living affected those around you? How does it affect your job?... Your children?... Your health?... Your circle of friends? (Assuming that not all your friends share in your addictive behaviors)..

In Mr. Sheen's case, his actions have definitely affected the lives of all the people who work on his television show, those whose jobs have been put in jeopardy by how he has chosen to act.


Another thing that I noticed was the "grandiose" way in which he speaks. He puts himself above all other people. He's "different" than us, the common folk. We couldn't "handle" having his superior brain in our bodies. He's not "terrestrial" like the rest of the human race.


One interviewer mentioned to him that some professionals in the health care field would label him "bipolar", meaning that he has wide mood swings, going from feeling ecstatic to being depressed. Often, addiction and mood disorder goes hand in hand. A person with a mood disorder will often "self medicate" to control the way they feel. Someone who is truly bipolar may use alcohol or pain pills to counter the effects of mania. Someone who is feeling depressed might turn to stimulants like cocaine or amphetamines. It's a constant battle over the emotions to try and "feel right". The disorder can definitely lead to drug abuse and addiction. As many as 60% of people with bipolar disorder have some sort of substance abuse problem that goes along with it. It's called a Dual Diagnosis. I don't know if that is what is going on with Charlie Sheen. Since he doesn't want any professional intervention, then only time will tell.


He mocked the interviewer who suggested he might be bipolar by saying, "So, if I'm bipolar shouldn't there be a time when I crash, when I'm crying, lying in the corner saying it's all my mom's fault? Shut up!"...

Just because his mood swing (if in fact, that's the case) hasn't run it's course, doesn't mean that, in the long-term, he won't find himself right there in that exact position. That takes the disorder into even more dangerous territory. Over-medicating (overdose), or suicide. Perhaps both...accidental suicide by taking too much of a substance. It has happened to quite a few famous folks. Marilyn Monroe is one who comes to mind.


Denial. That's the first hurdle to get over, and by far the hardest one. No one wants to see himself/herself as "different". (Apart from the grandiose feelings associated with mania).


The number one symptom of denial is the "denial" of it's existence. It causes everlasting blindness. It will fight viciously for it's own survival all the way to insanity, institutionalization and even death. Addiction welcomes the person who has vowed to "beat it by themselves". The last thing addiction wants is for others to join in the fight against it. I guess you could call denial a "river". It's the river that carries a person down to a watery grave.


I don't know how Charlie Sheen's story is going to play out. Only time will tell.

I was thinking about him the other night and I heard a still, small voice speaking to me. The voice said, "Why don't you pray for him?"
I thought that was good advice... So I did. I am. I hope you will too. It would be great to see him turn his life around and become a role-model for the power of God and the power of grace.

I believe it could happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment