Sunday, July 10, 2011

Famous Last Words

I have come to believe that when a person is dying, the thing that is foremost on their mind is (usually) the subject which interests them most in life. For most people I think, if they had the time to chose their last words it would be something like, "I love you".... or "tell my wife/kids /parents.... that I love them."

Recently I heard about the famous last words of P.T. Barnum (of Barnum And Bailey Circus fame), who was mostly interested in making money: "How were the receipts today at Madison Square Garden?"......
Those were his last words before he was ushered off into eternity.
It got me to thinking about other folks we might all have heard of and how they chose to utter their final thoughts in this world. Here are a few I found interesting...

"Is everybody happy? I want everyone to be happy? I know I'm happy". (Ethel Barrymore, actress) June 18, 1959......

"Go away! I'm alright." (H.G. Wells, famous author 1946

"I have a terrific headache." (Franklin Delano Roosevelt, President 1945

"I've had 18 straight whiskies. I think that's the record." Dylan Thomas, poet 1953

"Why not. Yeah." (Timothy Leary, famous for his psychedelic drug use) 1996

"Let's cool it, brothers" (Malcolm X, right before he was assassinated)....1966

"Nothing matters. Nothing matters." (Louis B. Mayer, film producer)...1957

"I've never felt better!" (Douglas Fairbanks Sr. actor)...1939

"I've had a hell of a lot of fun and I've enjoyed every minute of it." (Errol Flynn, actor...1959

"Yes, it's tough. But not as tough as doing comedy." ( Ed Gwenn, actor)...1959

"That was the best ice-cream soda I ever tasted." (Lou Costello, comedian)...1959

"My God, what happened?".... (Princess Diana)...1997

"I should never have switched from Scotch to Martinis." (Humphrey Bogart, actor).. 1957

"Either that wallpaper goes, or I do!" (Oscar Wilde, writer)... 1900

"Damn it!. Don't you dare ask God to help me." (Joan Crawford, actress)...1977

(One of my personal favorites)..."They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist....."... (General John Sedgwick, Union Army General... 1864 (during the Civil War)...

"I'm not the least afraid to die." (Charles Darwin)....1882

"All my posessions for a moment of time." (Queen Elizabeth The First)...1603

"Do you hear the rain? Do you hear the rain?" (Jessica Dubroff, seven-year-old pilot, minutes before her plane crashed)...1996

"I'm about to...or I am going to...die. Either exprssion is correct. (Dominique Bouhours, French Grammarian)...1855

"Father, into Thy hands I commend my spirit."... (Jesus Christ, Savior and Redeemer, Jewish Messiah) Three days later resurrected....still living.... 2011....and counting....

No comments:

Post a Comment