Sunday, February 28, 2010

Attitude

So.... the mayor of this small town is out one afternoon working in his yard when a stranger comes driving down the street. The stranger stops and rolls down his window. Speaking to the mayor (he doesn't actually know it's the mayor)... he says, "Hey, I'm moving to this part of the country and was just wondering about your town. What kind of people live here?"... The mayor says to the stranger, "Well,... what were the folks like where you come from?"... The stranger retorts, "They were horrible.... a bunch of gossips, unfriendly, self-centered, uptight jerks. I'm glad to get away from them." "Well, I'm sorry" says the mayor..."but I'm afraid you wouldn't like it here. The folks in this town are pretty much the same as you descibed." With that, the stranger rolls up his window and drives off....
The next day the mayor is back out in his yard and another strange car pulls up beside him. The stranger in the car rolls down the window and says to the mayor... "Hi stranger. I'm moving to this part of the country and saw the sign for your town... and I was just wondering... what sort of folks live in this town?".... "Well, says the mayor,... "What are the folks like back in the town you come from?" So, the stranger tells the mayor, "I'd have to say they were some very nice people... friendly, kind, extremely generous and hospitable folks... I really hate to leave there but I'm being transferred to a new location because of my job." "Well, says the mayor...I think you'd really love it here because the residents of this town are exactly as you just described." ...
Attitude..... Just how important is it?
My wife and I became part of a church several years ago. It was a small church. The people who attended there were great....friendly, warm and welcoming.... except for one couple. They were an older couple and it seemed as though they were pillars of this church... they had been attending there for years. They didn't say much....I just assumed they were the shy, quiet type.
Now, I'm a bit "different" than what the people in that church were use to... meaning, ... I don't wear suits (not that there's anything wrong with suits).... and, I'm sort of layed-back when it comes to worship. I like the old hymns, but I also like the modern worship songs....and, I have to admit, I kind of like to clown around at times....
When the pastor of this church found out I played the guitar and sang, he asked if I would help out by leading worship once in awhile,... an invitation I was pleased to accept. Also, once in awhile I would dig out my guitar and do a "special", ... usually a song I had written. My songs aren't your typical "churchy" songs but everyone seemed to love them regardless...
One day, the aforementioned couple simply up and left the church. When I asked the pastor why they had left he told me.... "Well, if you must know... I think you were the last straw. They didn't like the clothes you wore to church, the way you led worship or the type of songs you sang for special music."
I was shocked!.... I felt terrible. I was responsible for causing this older couple to quit the church!?.... wow.. bummer... I hardly knew how to respond...
I told the pastor, "I'm really sorry this happened.. I don't know what to say..."
So,.... the pastor looks at me and he says,.... "Hey, don't worry about it. I'm surprised they stayed as long as they did. All they did was gripe and complain about things the whole time they were here. If it wasn't you it would have been something else. I'm sure they will find exactly the right church to fit into."
I found out months later that they did. Sure enough....
Attitiude.
We often don't realize how it affects our lives. The next time someone tells you they are leaving a church, an A.A. group, ... any social community... it might be wise to ask them why. They might have valid reasons. The next time YOU leave a group you might be wise to ask yourself... "Why?" You may have some really good reasons. Then again.......

No comments:

Post a Comment