Sunday, February 21, 2010

Gratitude

The other day I was driving down the road and I notice a sealed package lying next to the curb....so, I quickly made a U-Turn and went back to pick it up. My first thought was, "Wow, what did I just get for FREE?!"
YAY!"... And then, the "other" angel on my shoulder, (the one with the halo), whispered in my ear... "What would Jesus do?".... (I think he even had one of those bracelets on)....
"Shut up,... stupid angel!"....
But, I knew he/she/it (whatever an angel is)... was right. As Spike Lee said in his famous movie, Do The Right Thing, I should..."Do the right thing"... and that "right thing" was to make sure the package got to it's rightful owner...tomorrow...
The next day, (after a non-eventful evening of shaking the box, trying to figure out what was in it), I tossed it into my van and set out to find the company whose address was on the box. Fortunately, the company wasn't too far away...and I found it fairly easily. It was a large, multi-bazillion dollar company... and I couldn't stop myself from thinking, "Hey, maybe there's a big reward for me in returning this!"...
I walked into the main office, package proudly displayed. There, at the desk, was a young lady deeply involved in something vitally imprtant, (like texting her best friend about the previous night's adventures,... or setting up a hair appointment)..... I set the package down and loudly announced, "Hey, I found one of YOUR packages in the street last night... and thought you might want it!"... (smile)...
She took the box from my hands, set it on the desk next to her, said..."yea, thanks"... and went back to whatever non-important thing she was doing.
I was INCREDULOUS!.... "yea,.. thanks?"... That's it?!" I was thinking that perhaps she would call the big boss down to the lobby and say something like,.. I don't know, ... like,... "Hey boss, guess what? This guy found one of our packages lying in the street and WENT ALL THE WAY OUT OF HIS WAY TO FIND US AND DELIVER IT.... PERSONALLY!!!".... And then, the big boss would say,... "WOW,.. thanks so much for doing that!. We REALLY APPRECIATE IT!... AND,.. by the way, why don't we buy you lunch or give you a lucrative position with our company...or a can of Spam.. or.. something....
Oh well...
Someone once said that we humans always have an ulterior motive for the things we do, even the things that seem altruistic. I think the bottom line is,...we want to be appreciated. I know that I do. It got me to thinking about how I treat other folks. Do I show my appreciation for the simple courtesys shown me?... or am I often oblivious to what goes on around me?... As they say in the Recovery world, "Do I have an Attitude Of Gratitude?"
I have to admit, in my journey through life, it's sometimes difficult to "pay attention" and show gratitude for the many blessings God has bestowed upon me... a great marriage and family, a job I don't hate, decent health, a roof over my head, faithful friends, two cats who love me every time I FEED them,.... eternal life...
I know I often disappoint people because I don't show my appreciation as well or as often as I should. With God's help and grace I pray to be more aware of this lack in my life. And, the next time I find an unopened box on the side of the road I may just hand it to the angel with the halo and say to him... "Here, YOU return it!" (to the snottly little office secretary)....
We'll see. .... The journey continues....

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff Bob. Although I don't agree with you on the religion stuff, I enjoy your insights. I too often catch myself getting irritated with someone not showing the appreciation I expected when doing nice things. I have to remind myself that I'm doing them because I am a nice person and enjoy being that way. The other person's reaction should be irrelevant. I do believe we always have an ulterior motive. But that's human, so to deny or ignore it is useless. I used to refer to relationships as mutual, consenting using of each other. My views aren't quite so harsh as that anymore but to me, it's a more realistic view than the classic 'soul mate' or 'fairytale' view that most people seem to have. Anyway, keep the good stuff coming. I hope you all are well up there in the cold. :)

    ReplyDelete