Sunday, October 31, 2010

I Am What Is Wrong With The World

There's a story I read about the trial of a Nazi prison guard following the Jewish emancipation from the horrendous prison camps during World War 2.

An elderly Jewish man attended the trial. When a former prison guard was led into the courtroom, the former war prisoner broke down. He wept uncontrollably and was ushered from the courtroom.

His friends and family were trying to comfort him. "I know you must be terribly upset to see this Nazi SS Officer, after you suffered so much mistreatment at his hands."

The old man looked up at them and said, "No, that's not the reason I'm crying. The reason is, because, when I saw this man, dressed in regular civilian clothes, I realized, for the first time, that he was just an ordinary man... like me. He was.... just like me. I could have been that man!.... and it terrified me to think of myself as a monster, the way I had always previously envisioned... him."



G.K. Chesterton was a Christian writer in England in the early twentieth century. One day the local newspaper ran an article decrying the state of the world. (This was almost 100 years ago). The article sighted some of the world's problems and asked it's readers to answer this one question: What Is Wrong With The World?

Mr. Chesterton wrote back his short answer.



Dear Sirs: I am



Sincerely,

G.K. Chesterton



G.K. Chesterton's simple answer to this age-old question inspired me to write the song, "I Am What Is Wrong With The World".... and I included it on an album I recorded, "Every Road Leads Me Home", in 2006.

I've had people tell me that they love the song. I've had people tell me that they hate the song, ... and I've had many who said they didn't understand the song and it's message.



The Bible says that we have "all" sinned, and fall short of the glory of God. I must include myself in this "all"...

Given the right (or wrong) circumstances in life, what are we indeed capable of?

Are we the oppressed or the oppressor? Or both at the same time?



Anyway, this week I offer up the controversial song for your consideration. Agree or disagree, I think it's something to consider...



You can click on this link to hear it and read the lyrics.....

http://songramp.com/Flyingsheep



I would love to hear your opinions... good, bad or indifferent.

No comments:

Post a Comment